Students in our degree programme will gain transferable skills in problem solving, written and oral communication, quantitative methods, qualitative analysis, statistical and econometric analysis and the use of information technology. They will critically analyze and evaluate economic events and issues with specific reference to the business environment, government policy and the financial world.
Vision & Mission of the Department
The mission of the department is enhancing the intellectual and economic validity of our country through our academic program, research and community outreach activities.
The department of economics strives to be one of the top departments in the nation and be exemplary through the provision of quality education in economics subject areas, research & consultancy service by 2020.
General Objectives of the program
- The aim of the program is to produce high level professionals in Economics that will benefit the country’s sustainable economic development.
- The program offers students a comprehensive basis for professional and academic careers and further education in any economics specializations, through courses and thesis work.
- Students will be equipped with a solid knowledge of economic theory as applied to development issues, natural resources, and other socio-economic issues concerning the developing countries in particular and the globe in general.
- Generally, The department has the objective of producing high level qualified experts in different professions, launching different research findings to the advantage of the local/country, and providing consultancy service to the community that will benefit the country’s development endeavor, which will foster the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP) of Ethiopia to reach the middle income countries in the near future.
Specifically the prime focuses of the program is:
- To produce Economists (Economic thinkers) with basic skills that would help to teach and do research in areas of economics.
- To better acquaint the students with solid understanding of microeconomic theories, macroeconomic theories, and other economic issues for intelligent applications of economics in a way that improve the quality, relevance and output of undergraduates in economics in Ethiopia.
- To equip the students with the necessary methodologies in economics that enable them explain the economic phenomenon, undertake economic analysis and design economic policy.
- To highlight the different applications of economic theories in various sectors and expose the students to the different sub-discipline of economics [labor economics, agricultural economics, industrial economics, environmental economics, financial economics, etc]
- Produce graduates with a skill of planning, Project preparation, monitoring and evaluation.
- To enable the students undertake theoretical and applied researches relevant to the overall development strategy and vision of the country and address national problems of socio-economic roots; and disseminate research findings through outreach program.
- To promote interdisciplinary collaboration among the various programs in training, research and extension.
- To offer short term training courses and provides consultancy service for different organizations and community.
- To show students how economic science evolved, it’s present and future vision of the field and make them up-to-date with the dynamism of the field.
This refers to general description of the desirable qualities of the professional in the world of work. Professionals profile is the determination of the conceptual knowledge, skills and the tools a professional is expected to possess. It is the major roles and tasks of the professional and the competencies that it requires for optimal functioning. It is the graduate profile that is advanced through experience in the real world. It is known that economics professionals have the necessary understanding of theoretical, analytical tool, and practical implementation of economic issues that can be applied in various institutions (government, non-government, private, and community related activities). Similarly, they do have knowledge and skills of resource allocation, are of critical thinking on various socio-economic phenomenon. They do also have firm mathematical and analytical skills, good knowledge and skill of computer use and software applications.
Therefore, it is expected from an economist to:
- Present and transfer economic knowledge to the target groups
- Develop and build economic Models
- Use empirical evidence to evaluate an economic argument
- Develop, design, appraise and monitor projects.
- Develop and promote attitudes that advance the nation’s well-being in particular and the globe in general.
- Be ethical, openly and objectively comments on economic policies, strategies and issues.
- Contribute to the economic policy formulation capability and broadly to the economic advancement of the country;
- Conduct scientific Researches and assist in the dissemination of the findings of such research in Ethiopia;
- Able to provide independent consultancy and advisory services for various agents.
- Initiate forum for the discussion of economic issues, and
- Create professional linkage with domestic and foreign economists.
- Far sighted about Scio-economic and socio-political issues.
The department is a program of study that normally takes three years to complete for full time regular students and four to five years for part time students. The department will admit if the student:
- Have been successfully completed preparatory level schools and pass Entrance examination for the University prepared by Ministry of Education.
- Have able to pass the standards set by the department.
Duration of the Study
The program will have Three-year duration, with one semester consisting of 16 weeks.
Mode of Delivery
The nationally agreed delivery method is semester based and one module for a maximum of two consecutive semesters.
A graduate profile is derived from the professional profile and describes the competencies that a graduate (beginning professional) is expected to have as a result of their educational programs. It determines the program goals and the skills and knowledge needed for a beginning professional.
Head, Department of Economics
Cell phone: +251 915 67 74 54