Mission of the University
HISTORY OF DILLA UNIVERSITY
The history of Dilla University can be traced back to the year 1996 with its name, Dilla College of teachers’ education and Health sciences. The then Dilla College constituted two faculties: Faculty of teachers’ Education and Faculty of Health Sciences. However, in 2001, the College was included in the then newly emerging University – Debub University. In 2004 Dilla College once again went through another phase and sprung in to a full- fledged University by the councils of ministers regulation No 129/04.
When Dilla college begun its activity as a college it had 12 departments with a total student population of less than 400, in a campus that was originally constructed for another purpose. Now the University is operating in 3 campuses with one college, one institute and 13 schools which offer 40 under graduate and 7 post graduate programs with a student population of around 17,000 in regular and continuing Education programs.
Dilla University to date has more than 700 motivated young academic staff and more than 1300 administrative staff who are working vigorously to materialize its mission and reach the horizon of excellence in the world of academics. The University has strong innovative learning methods and didactics, as it is used to be a Teacher’s University.
Vision of the University
Dilla University strives to be among the top most ten universities in East Africa by teaching learning, research and community services by the year 2023.