Written by Super User
The board is the supreme governing body of the University. The members of the board have the responsibilities to:
- Supervise and ensure that the institution implements the provisions of Proclamation650 of a higher education and that good governance prevails in the institution;
- Examine, approve and follow up the implementation of proposals of institutional reorganization, organizational plans, policies, administration and academic programs and internal regulations of the institution.
- Issue directives, upon the advice of the president, regarding qualification requirements and procedures of nomination and appointment procedures and terms of office of the vice presidents and other academic officers as well as members of the senate; and monitor the propriety of implementation of the same.
- Nominate the president for appointment as may be appropriate by the Ministry or the state body and appoint the vice presidents on the basis of nominations made by the president) take, without prejudice to the applicability of other relevant laws, any disciplinary action, including removal from office, against any vice president in the event of serious failure to discharge his responsibility; in the case of the president, consult with the Ministry for measures to be taken.
- Appoint auditors of the institution and determine their remunerations.
- Review and submit strategic plans, annual plans and budgets of the institution and supervise their implementation up on approval; approve and submit performance reports and financial statements of the institution;
- Monitor and ensure that the institution keeps proper books of accounts of all its mainstream and sundry incomes and that all expenditures are as budgeted;
- Take remedial measures within its own competence and report promptly to the Ministry in the event of serious breaches of the law by the institution's other governing bodies or in the event the danger of serious financial loss is suspected or has actually happened;
- Cause, as necessary, the formulation of and approve policies regarding employment, promotion, discipline, salary, allowances, and other benefits for the administrative and technical support staff of the public institution on the basis of the basic principles of the federal civil service laws;
- Request and obtain information on matters concerning the institution and report the same if particularly important to the Ministry;
- Submit proposal as may be necessary to the Ministry for the amendment of the law establishing the public institution as well as advise it on all matters of importance to higher education and research generally and for institution governance particularly as perceived from its position as board of an institution;
- Examine and give final decision on grievances against decision by the public institution.
- Monitor that the institution has an adequate institutional system to expeditiously receive and redress grievances) conduct, on the basis of the president's report, performance evaluations of the institution, of its constituents, and of its leaders and governing bodies against plans.
- Monitor the implementation of senate legislations and decisions.
- Rescind decisions made by the president or the senate when the decisions compromise institutional mission or contravene government policy, this Proclamation, or the Constitution.
- Issue its own rules of procedure and internal regulations, as well as rules of discipline applicable to its members.
- Approve promotions to the rank of professorship;
- Determine upon advice by the president the type and amount of different payments relating to education charged by the public institution and, on the basis of decisions by the Council of Ministers, decide on payable allowances, overload rates and other similar sundry rates.
- Oversee the proper constitution and functioning of the senate, university council, and the managing council; and establish, as it may consider necessary and upon the advice of the president, any particular advisory council accountable to the president or to the university council.