Programme of Geography and Environmental Studies is one of the oldest fields in the university. It is as old as the university itself and has a proud history. Beginning from the establishment of the Dilla College of Teacher Education and Health Sciences (DCTEHS) in 1996, Geography is taught at undergraduate level. Relationship between man and environment has been the most important concern of Geography since its early days of development as a modern academic discipline where the discipline examines the interaction of man-environment, and their dynamics in space and time at different magnitudes. Geography does not only bridge the physical and the social sciences, it also synthesized their mutual spectrum through its core thrust which naturally exists..
Geography and Environmental Studies covers different areas and comprises many branches. The method of scientific study has taken a full control of scope and study of Geography and Environment. The discipline has responsible in creating citizens that can take care of the resource, environment and well being of the society for sustainable development. The study of geography and Environmental studies is quite useful in conducting research and investigates the relationship of resources, environment and human activities from different dimensions.
The objectives of the program of Geography & Environmental Studies are to:
- understanding the facts and patterns of spatio-temporal processes and possibilities of human and physical phenomena and their interactions
- identifying and solving spatio-temporal problems of the physical and human environment
- comprehending the risks potentials and prospects of the country environmental isolation as well as in global perspective
- generating, analysing and presenting spatio-temporal data of physical and human environment using different scientific procedures, models , tools and techniques
- Demonstrating confidence and convection that enable them to become positive role models to society committed to change and development.
- providing various kinds of professional trainings to the community
- awakening the general public of environmental problems, their causes, consequences and mobilize the public for positive actions
- providing professional consultancy services with a view to accelerate environmental, social and economic developments
The curriculum of the programme of Geography and Environmental Studies is designed with the view that graduates who compete their education from the Programme shall be able to:
Taught Courses (Undergraduate)
The Programme of Geography and Environmental Studies covers the core geography courses of Physical, Human, Technical Geography and crosscutting courses as well as Supportive courses. The undergraduate program in Geography and Environmental Studies has been designed in such a way that would address development issues, environmental issues, social issues, and technological realms. It is also designed to integrate the geography courses with supportive courses and other courses that would help understand and work with endeavours in the essence of the field. The staff are academically competent, highly motivated, well-disciplined offering stimulating and supportive environment for those who want to study at both undergraduate and graduate studies.
The undergraduate Geography major program leads to a certification referred in English as: Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Environmental Studies (BA in Amharic as uÍ=*Ó^ò“ ›"vu= Ø“ƒ ¾›`ƒ v‹K` Ç=Ó]