Written by Super User
Page 1 of 3
Public Administration and Development Management
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) Program in Public Administration and Development Management (PADM) is an interdisciplinary training program that combines theories and practice in the organization and management of public sectors as well as management of development programs and projects.
The program intends to impart knowledge and skills in the areas of public administration and development management by offering varies theoretical and practical courses on the concepts, principles, approaches of public policy formulation, implementation, and evaluation; public finance management; human resource administration; public service delivery; development management/administration; new public administration; research methodology; project planning and administration; leadership and conflict management and other related sub-fields in public administration discipline. The BA program in public administration and development management is intended primary for those who are planning a career in the administration and management of public sector organizations and development processes.
2.1. Objectives of the Program/Department of Public Administration and Development Management
The general objective of the program of public administration and development management is to provide academic excellence (conceptual knowledge, analytical skills and practical experience) in the preparation of students for administrative positions as well as in research and consultancy activities in government, non- government agencies, and academic institutions and, to some extent, in business organizations.
Specific objectives of the program;
- To develop the analytical skill of students to understand how public administration functions
- To equip students with the required skills, knowledge and attitude/ behavioral competence to enable them act ethically, efficiently and effectively in the administration of public sector organizations;
- To develop the critical and analytical skills which enable students to understand policy and program formulation, implementation, budgeting, resource allocation and evaluation:
- To prepare students for mid-level professional career that involves administering human, material, financial and information resources of organizations at the various levels of a governmental and non- governmental organizations, parastatals and other agencies:
- To build the foundation for students who are interested in pursuing graduate study in public administration and other related programs;
- To train mid-level professional who must fill the professional gaps in all tiers of Ethiopia’s public sectors.
- To provide knowledge and skills on how to run public institutions effectively and efficiently in the context of Ethiopia, where the state is one of the important actors that plays major roles in socio-economic and political development.
2.2. General Description of the BA Program in Public Administration and Development Management
The program leading to the Bachelor of Arts in public administration and development management is primarily designed to provide the students with a solid and well-rounded education in Public Administration and Development Management. It prepares the students for professional leadership roles in policy development, planning, budgeting and administration in government, non-governmental and private business organizations. The competency that the students acquire is based on the foundation laid by the curriculum.
The bachelor’s degree program in PADM consists of general courses which focus on Law, Sociology, Psychology, Statistics, Mathematics for Management, English language, Economics and other related course that are expected to provide the students with a thorough understanding of the social science field.
The core Public Administration and Development Management courses begin in the first year, first semester. The course syllabus combines socio-political, economic, management, communication and other technical skill and knowledge with issues directly related to administration in public, private and civil society sectors but pays special attention to problems relevant to the public sector. While local realities of public administration are given due consideration, the syllabus is designed to make the curriculum comparable to any undergraduate universities program in public administration in Africa, Europe and North America. The core Public Administration and Development Management courses are designed to enhance the student’s ability to achieve his/her career objective. The BA degree is completed with a final research paper, which develops the ability of the students to analyze a problem situation and make an appropriate decision suitable to the surrounding circumstances. Through thesis/senior essay and if possible through internship programs, students participate in policy analysis of contemporary problems and hands-on challenge of Public Administration and Development Management. In addition, the degree builds a solid foundation for future postgraduate studies in public administration, public policy and management, local and regional development.
2.3. Professional Profile and Career Opportunities of Graduates
2.3.1 Professional Profile
Up on completion of the Bachelor of Arts Degree program in Public Administration and Development Management, graduates will be able to have the following professional and technical competences:
- A)The holder of a BA in Public Administration and Development Management should demonstrate general knowledge of critical concepts and theories in the subfields of public administration:
- Understand the theoretical concepts of public administration as well as discuss the branches and roles of government and analyze their application in the Ethiopian context:
- Critically analyze the theoretical perspectives and discourses on economic, social and political development and the role of government in development and how these discourses should be operationalized in the context of Ethiopia:
- Understand the contemporary issues and approaches and techniques of public sector management, organization design and development and the techniques of human resource management;
- Understand the various theories and approaches in policy science and critically analyzed development policy issues;
- To have practical skills of research methodologies and techniques to carry out independent researches and communicate clearly in written and readable documents;
- Understand and discuss the different theoretical perspectives and discourses on decentralization (political, administrative and economic/financial) and critically analyze the challenges and prospects of the ongoing decentralization in Ethiopia;
- Develop a deeper understanding of the concept and major debates on process of democratization ( participation, accountability, rule of law, human rights), and synthesize the relationship of decentralization and development in the context of Ethiopia;
- Conceptualize the analytical approaches to governance and leadership at organization and community level and involve actively in negotiation, mediation, and conflict resolution;
- Understand the basic concepts of civil service ethics, neutrality and other principles;
- Develop understanding on the different modalities of rural and local economic development strategies and establishments of public-private partnership;
- Understand the approaches to project and program development as well as the techniques related to project identification, appraisal, selection, monitoring and evaluation;
- Understand the issue of gender in development projects, assess the importance and relevance of this issues in concrete projects and incorporate gender consideration in project formulation and assessment;
- Understand the conceptual foundations and practice of governance and democracy and their impact on development as well as analyze the role of non-state actors and social movements in enhancing good governance and democracy;
- Understand the concepts, theories and practice of urban management and development at national and international levels;
- Have a working knowledge of information systems particularly as they relates to development administration and management.
- B)The holders of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Administration and Development Management are mid-level career professionals who should possess the following skills to work as specialized staffer in all the branches of public administration/ public sector and non-profit organizations. They are expected to be in a position to:
- Plan, organize, direct and control activities in governmental and non-governmental organizations:
- Engage actively in policy formulation, analysis, implementation and evaluation in the public and voluntary organizations;
- Promote efficient and effective management of human resource and carryout human resource planning, recruiting, selecting, training , motivating, appraising performance etc, in an organization;
- Manage the financial resource of an organization by applying the techniques in public sector budgeting, financial planning, analyzing financial statements and basic non-profit accounting techniques;
- Communicate effectively through public speeches, letters, memoranda, etc
- Effectively participate in resolving conflict, negotiation, coaching, guiding and building consensus among different actors;
- Analyze the impacts of different modalities of services to users;
- Undertake counteract administration and other activities related to ordering, supplying, selecting, receiving, inspecting, storing, and material handling;
- Select local development projects from among a set of possible projects, undertake feasibility studies as well as plan, implement, monitor and evaluate projects and programs and analyze their effects on sustainable environmental management and development;
- Assess the environment of an organization and develop strategic visions and plans for an organization by integrating the different organizational functions and involving different actors and stakeholders;
- Develop organizational plans and programs and able to execute the same.
- C)The holders of a BA degree in Public Administration and Development Management will be equipped with the following skills critical to success in many professions.
- oSolve problems logically and systematically;
- oParticipate in multi-disciplinary research projects and conduct independent researches;
- oExpress a position and defend it by identifying corroborating evidence.
2.3.2. Career Opportunities
Students who complete the BA Degree in Public Administration and Development Management may find career opportunities in the public sector (central government ministries, local government administrations, government corporations, etc.) as civil servant working in the realm of public interest. A second option is offered by the sector of non-governmental organizations, associations, civil society organizations, international organizations and UN agencies working in areas of public interest. A third career option is to be found in the private sector as experts on project management, strategic management, human resource development & management, technical advisory role, etc. Graduates will also find jobs in consultancy and research centers.